Perfect Beer Battered Toad in the Hole
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
2. To make the batter, sift the flour, salt and pepper into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Mix the eggs, milk and beer together in another bowl, then pour into the well. Mix in gently with a wooden spoon, then stir to a smooth lump free batter and set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a shallow roasting tin on the hob. Add the sausages and cook for 5 minutes to brown evenly, then add the onions and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir through the thyme, then remove everything from the tin and set aside on a plate.
4. Add the remaining oil to the empty tin and place in the oven for 5 minutes to heat up. Remove from the oven and very carefully scatter the sausage and onion mixture back into the tin. Shake to distribute evenly in the hot oil, then pour over the rested batter.
5. Put back in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Serve with seasonal vegetables and onion gravy if you like.
For the 'toad': 5tbsp olive oil
1 pack debbie&andrew’s Perfect Cumberland Pork Sausages
2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
1 small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves stripped
For the 'hole': 225g plain flour (for a Gluten Free alternative, try Udi's All Purpose Flour Mix)
A pinch of pepper
4 eggs, beaten