Roasted Sausage, Parsnip & Pear
A no-mess, moreish roast. This roasted sausage, parsnip and pear dish with a maple syrup glaze and crispy fried sage is an easy win with guests. The prime cuts of shoulder and belly pork in the Harrogate 97% sausages are juicy, with maple syrup bringing out the sweetness of the parsnips and pears. A sprinkle of chopped pecans adds crunch and chewy happiness to this hearty feast.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°c
2. In a large shallow casserole dish add a tablespoon of oil and cook the sausages for around 2 minutes until they are coloured.
3. Add the parsnips and shallot, season with salt and pepper and stir.
4. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, giving a shake once or twice.
Whilst the sausages and parsnips are cooking in the oven:
1. In a frying pan, heat the butter and once foaming add the pears, frying off for 5 minutes until the flesh is caramelised and golden brown. Remove and rest on a plate until needed.
2. In a small saucepan, deep-fry the sage in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and blot with kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
3. After 25 minutes of baking, add the pears and pecans to the sausages and drizzle with the maple syrup. Bake for a further 10 minutes.
4. To serve, place in the middle of the table and scatter with the crispy sage leaves.
Top tip: Chunks of blue cheese can be added at the end for a more indulgent dish.
Recipe by Andy Bates
6 debbie&andrew’s Harrogate 97% Pork Sausages
500g parsnips or potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
2 banana shallots or onions, peeled and cut lengthways, keeping the root end on to hold together when baking
1 large pear or apple, cored and cut into eighths lengthways
2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
Handful of chopped pecans or walnuts
10-15 sage leaves
Salt and pepper