Sausage, Spinach & Egg Bake
Perfect Cumberland Sausages and mushrooms with spinach and baked eggs, covered in cheese sauce and baked ‘til golden. A quick, delicious weekend brunch, this is one-pan cooking at its best – just serve at the table and let everyone tuck in.
For the cheese sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour to make a roux and cook off for 3 minutes.
2. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring to create a béchamel. Cook for 5-6 minutes, mixing so the bottom doesn’t catch.
3. Add the cheese, season, take off the heat and cover with greaseproof paper so a skin doesn’t form.
For the bake:
1. Pre-heat grill.
2. Fry off the mushrooms in a knob of butter, season and rest on a plate.
3. Fry the sausage slices in the same pan with some oil for 3-4 minutes until they start to caramelise. Transfer to the same plate as the mushrooms.
4. Add a little more oil to the pan, then break in the eggs. As soon as they start to go white, scatter the sausages, mushrooms and spinach over them.
5. Next and as quickly as possible pour the cheese sauce over the top, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place under the hot grill until golden and bubbling.
6. Serve in the pan immediately.
Top tip: Serve with potatoes for a hearty supper
Recipe by Andy Bates
4 x debbie&andrew’s Perfect Cumberland Sausages, cooked and sliced
100g spinach, cooked
100g mushrooms, fried and sliced (I used re-hydrated wild mushrooms)
Oil for cooking
Butter for cooking (use a Dairy Free alternative if preferred)
25g plain flour (use Gluten Free if preferred)
350ml milk (use a Dairy Free alternative if preferred)
130g grated cheese (use a Dairy Free alternative if preferred)
Salt & pepper