Sausage & Apple Slaw Muffin
Working and living in East London inspires Andy Bates to create a new recipe: Sausage Muffin with Mango Chutney and Curried Apple Slaw. A street food inspired burger with a difference, the crunchy apple in the slaw is brilliant with the flavour of Perfect Pork Sausages.
1. Remove sausage meat from skins.
2. Shape into 4 flat equal burger patties, cover with cling film and chill until needed.
3. Mix the slaw ingredients. Cover until needed.
4. Heat a frying pan with a dash of oil and add the patties, cooking for two to three minutes each side, and cook through in a hot oven for 5 minutes. Rest on a plate for 5 minutes.
5. Pull apart the muffins with a fork instead of cutting with a knife and toast to your liking.
6. To assemble, on one half of a muffin, spoon on a tablespoon of mango chutney, add a patty, then a heaped tablespoon of the slaw and top with the remaining muffin half. Repeat with remaining muffins.
Top tip: Use a fork instead of a knife (this keeps the inside fluffy) to separate the muffin. No muffins? A bun would work as well.
Recipe by Andy Bates
6 debbie&andrew’s Perfect Pork Sausages
4 large English muffins (use Gluten Free option if preferred, Udi's GF White Rolls)
4 tbsp mango chutney
For the slaw:
1/4 head of white cabbage, sliced super thin
1 granny smith apple, cored and julienned
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp mayonnaise (use Dairy Free option if preferred)
2 tbsp soured cream (use Dairy Free option if preferred)
1/2 tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying