Gluten Free Sausage Plait
1. Preheat your oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6 and remove all the sausages from their skins. Grease a baking tray with a little butter.
2. Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan until hot. Add the onion and cook until soft. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the sausagemeat, thyme and black pepper to the cooked onion and mix and season well.
4. Roll the puff pastry out on a floured surface to a rectangle. Arrange the sliced eggs in a long line down the middle of the pastry. Top with the sausagemeat mixture.
5. Now, using a sharp knife, cut 2.5cm strips, on the angle, from the edge of the sausagemeat to the outer edge of the pastry. Brush the strips with beaten egg.
6. Starting at the top of the pastry, take the top left strip of pastry and lay it over the sausagemeat. Then, take the top right strip and lay it over the sausagemeat. Repeat to make the plait pattern. Tuck the ends of the pastry into the plait and brush the whole thing with beaten egg.
7. Transfer the plait to the prepared baking tray and bake in middle of the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven temperature down to 140ºC /275ºF /Gas Mark 1 and bake for another 20 minutes. Serve hot with seasonal vegetables or cold with relish or chutney for the perfect picnic!
2 packs debbie&andrew’s Harrogate 97% Sausages
A knob of butter to grease
1tbsp sunflower oil
1 red onion, peeled and diced
2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper
1 x 500g block readymade gluten free puff pastry
2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1 egg, beaten